5/7/09

well that was fun...

Per my Dr.'s orders I have been having someone check my blood pressure twice a day at work. Until today everything was fairly normal. Today my afternoon blood pressure was over the magic number that she told me to watch for and call her office. Well, I made the call waited for them to get back to me. I really expected her to just want me to recheck the pressure and rest. I was wrong. the nurse called me back and said that my Dr. wanted me to head into labor and delivery to be check out and monitored. Crap. I really did not want to hear that. I was at work and it took me a few minutes to gather my thoughts, throw everything into my desk and let my co-workers know what was going on.

I called Tommy and woke him up to let him know I was on the way home and we were going to the hospital. We quickly grabbed a few things, just in case, and headed out. I think that was the longest drive ever. We got to the hospital and went to the admitting desk. They put a bracelet on my arm and got a wheelchair to take me upstairs. I told her that I didn't need it, but apparently it is protocol. They set us up in the triage area. I was hooked up to the monitors to watch lil dumpling and monitor contractions. Of course there was also the awful blood pressure cuff. Lab also came and drew several vials of blood. Tommy sat there being supportive and trying to stay awake. Poor guy didn't get much sleep before we had to leave. Time went by fairly quick. Little one was very active during the whole thing. My blood pressure stayed low as well. I was starting to feel a little silly for being there, but I was just doing what I was told. I did notice contractions while I was laying there as well. A resident finally came in to talk to me. She said that all of my labs were normal and everything else looked fine. She was going to put in a call to the on call Dr. and see what she said. She asked how I was feeling and I told her I was fine but I was pretty sure I was having contractions. She asked how far apart they were and I said that I wasn't really sure since I didn't have a clock to go by. I kind of thought that is what the monitor was for? They checked that out and decided to go ahead and check me to see if I had made any progression. I was the same as I had been on Monday at my Dr. appointment. So, they call the Dr. and she said to send me home. The resident came back in and explained a few things to me. Honestly she made me feel bad for going there. She explained the best way to take my blood pressure. I told her that I was not doing it at home, rather I was having NURSES check it at work. I know she did not mean anything by what she was saying and was just doing her job, but I felt let down. I felt like I did something wrong. It's not like I really wanted to leave work early and drive an hour away just to be sent home for nothing.

I am very thankful though that I'm typing this post from my home and my little girl is still safely in my womb. As they say it is always better to be safe rather than sorry...

3 comments:

S. said...

Sorry you had such a rough day and that they made you feel bad for going in. :( You were just doing what you were told.

I'm glad that everything is okay though, with both you and that little girl of yours.

PAMMIE said...

I'm glad everything is OK. It's so hard with BP stuff, especially late in pregnancy. Things can get bad pretty quickly. I think your Dr. was just being cautious.

If you were worried about this happening again, next time your BP is high, you could try it on the other arm. Or wait two minutes and try the same arm again. It's unlikely that two BPs in the same range would be inaccurate.

As far as residents...I should probably e-mail you later. From my small window of experience, I'd say they still have a LOT of learning to do. I hate that she made you feel bad, though. Next time, just tell her to SUCK IT.

No, I can't picture you doing that :D

What hospital are you delivering at?

PAMMIE said...

Also, it IS better to be safe than sorry! We'd much rather have you be fine and healthy when you come to the hospital so we can send you home!