5/27/09

life with a 2 week old


No doubt, our lives have forever changed. Who knew that such a little body could bring two people closer? I feel like I have fallen in love with my husband all over again. To see him hold his little girl makes me smile. I just peeked in her room and he was leaning over her crib watching her sleep and telling her goodbye. He is still working midnights and has to leave us soon. The plus side of that shift is that it has been nice to have him here in the mornings to give me a little break when he gets home.


Lucy is such an amazing baby. She sleeps 3-4 hours between eating. I am breastfeeding and that is going very well. She took to that right away when we were still in the hospital. I have ordered a breast pump so I hope to try to introduce her to the bottle soon. Although, I will admit I like that she is so dependant on me and only me right now for her feedings. I enjoy the closeness that it brings. My favorite feeding time of the day is the early morning hours. The light filtering through the windows and the birds chirping make everything seems so peaceful. It is just me and my little girl. My daughter. Oh, how long I have wanted to be able to say those words. We have been on a few outings and she is so content. She really likes stroller rides and has stayed awake for them so far.


Barbie has been such a good dog with her. We were worried how she would react to a new little person since she has been our baby thus far. When we got home with Lucy I sat down on the couch so Barbie could check her out. She jumped up on the couch, gave Lucy's head a quick sniff and lick and went on her way. That pretty much sums up how she has been with her. If Lucy is crying and I don't get to her quick enough Barbie gets nervous. She is however VERY protective of her new non furry sister. When there is someone here that Barbie does not know, especially a male, Barbie is on guard. There is one rather, um, gross story about Barbie and Lucy. I wasn't going to share it, but what the heck. Last Monday I carrying Lucy to her crib after a feeding. I heard something hit the hardwood floor. I turned around just in time to see that her cord had fell off and slid out of her pant leg. A split second later Barbie had snatched the cord and ran to hid under our bed with it. Tommy tried to get it from her but it was too late. We can only assume that she ate it. It's not like we were going to keep it, or anything. It just really grossed us out!!! Remington has only been around Lucy a few times. He is such a big and powerful dog that I have not let him get too close. I'm sure that in a few years they will be good buddies.


Tommy was home with me for the first week. He is such a wonderful dad. When we were in the hospital he jumped right in and changed most of the diapers and did all he could to help out. He listened intently while the nurses gave us pointers. For the first week he was the glue that was holding us together. It took me a few days to feel human after coming home. I really don't know how I would have made it through without him. My mom has also been such a support. She was home with us the first Monday and then she stayed home with us all last week. It was so good to have her here as well. She cleaned and organized a lot!! I seriously do not know what I would do without her. Hopefully she is not tired of my calling her and asking her questions yet.


Just a quick update on what is going on here. I think I'm going to try to get ready for bed and get a few zzz's before lil Lucy wants to eat again. Yeah, my bedtime is pretty much between 9 and 9:30 pm these days and I'm loving it!

1 comments:

Rachel said...

Omg, the same thing happened to us with Avery's cord and our dog. Totally gross, but perhaps common!