5/25/10

big girls don't need booby milk


Tommorrow morning will be the week mark for Lucy being completely weaned.  She gave up the night feeding right after her birthday but we were still nursing in the morning.  Last Wednesday I was running very late for work so I decided to just not nurse her.  I was so nervous that I would be uncomfortable or that she would freak out.  Turns out that neither happened.  I did feel a little full but never too bad.  I'll admit I'm sad about being done with breastfeeding.  Is it weird to say that I really enjoyed it?  There were days in the beginning when I wondered how I would ever make it a whole year.  The early days were painful and tiring.  It would take forever to feed her.  I felt like that was all I did.  Probably because it was!  When I went back to work full time after 8 weeks and started pumping I really didn't know if I would be able to keep it up.  My two 15 minute breaks were spent hooked up to my pump.  I had a daily battle on my hands trying to keep up with Lucy's demands for milk.  With encouragement I stuck with it and I'm so glad I did.  I would not give up the time spent for anything. 

Earlier tonight I told Tommy that I really wanted to nurse her one last time.  He told that probably wasn't a good idea.  I'm just having a hard time with the fact that my baby does not need me in that way anymore.  He reassured me that she will always need me in one way or another.  I guess I just assumed that it would be Lucy who had to be convinced it was time to stop, not me!  Of course now that she is not nursed to sleep we have the issue of no bed time routine.  That is a whole other issue that I'm trying to work on.  Tonight she was actually in bed at a reasonable hour.  I know that change takes time so I'm just being patient and trying to see what is going to work for us.

I also wanted to put up an update on her Dr.'s appointment.  She weighs 18 lbs 2 oz and is 29 1/4 inches.  She is still in the low end for her weight and average height.  Her Dr. is not concered since she has been there all along.  She also did great with her immunizations.  I'm so glad that I can get them done at my office.  I feel so much more comfortable having someone I work with give them to her!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for weaning! What a great job you did! I'm going to work on that process very soon...we're just down to the bedtime feeding and I'm still doing it just out of fear for messing up the routine! You'll have to post about your new bedtime routine once you get it figured out!